To complete the Baseline Review and Need Assessment, ensure that the following have been completed:
- Outline the main conclusions of the situation analysis and relate them to the broader chemicals management context. Identify any weaknesses in the regional, national/local infrastructure connected with the chemical problem.
- Report the causes of the chemical problem in a hierarchical order.
- Develop the problem statement, i.e. the main reasons why the chemical is considered as a potential target for risk reduction measures.
- Characterize the main environmental and human health risks associated with the chemical and the basis for the risks. Determine whether a risk assessment is necessary, or whether other national assessments need to be reviewed.
- Identify vulnerable groups or any stages in the chemical’s life-cycle of particular concern.