A human exposure survey has been developed to collect information about human behaviour that may influence exposure to contaminants (see example field data sheets). Surveys are provided to workers at each site, as well as family members, when warranted.
Questions in the survey include:
- Health trends over the last 12 months
- information on pregnancies and miscarriages
- Child breast-feeding timelines
- Smoking habits
- Specific health issues (such as malaria and hepatitis)
- Length of time living in the area
- Use of the local area for gardening or livestock
- Employment history
- Food consumption
- Education level
- Socio-Economic Information
- Risk Communication reaching the individual
Local consultants usually collect these data during interviews with workers. Senior staff should be available to resolve any questions which may arise during the interview process.